Thank you for volunteering to help with the BC Thanksgiving Food Drive in Vernon.
We are excited to be able to share this experience with members of our community. We are hoping to cover as much of Vernon
as we can with drop off and pick up. For those areas that aren't covered, we ask that
food be delivered directly to the Food Bank.
This is typically how to help:
- Let us know that you're volunteering. Contact Brett Poulin at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Send us your name and phone number, as well as your preferred route area from
Food Drive.info. (Blue routes are unassigned.)
- We will give you a route assignment from those available at Food Drive.info.
- Pick up bags and flyers for your route (and a printed map, if you need it) on Sunday, Sept. 11 from 2-3 pm at
the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints at 1506 35 St in the Vernon Mission Hill area.
You can see it marked on the web site at Food Drive.info.
- Deliver bags and flyers to each household on your route from Monday to Thursday. (Bags delivered on Friday are often missed.)
The bag is most visible if tied to the doorknob. The more visible it is, the less likely the family is
to miss this opportunity to help.
- Pick up bags with food from 9:30am to about noon on Saturday, Sept 17. Please pick up any unused bags or flyers that you see.
- Deliver the food to the Food Bank warehouse at 4609 23rd Street. Access to 23rd Street should be from 48th Ave / Silver Star Road.
You can see it marked on the web site at Food Drive.info. Note that this is NOT the House of Hope
main distribution site behind Staples. It is their warehouse.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take?
A typical route will take about 2 hours to deliver bags and one hour to pick up the food.
Putting bags at the door is usually the most time consuming part of the process. Picking up is much faster.
The total time is dependent on the size of the route and the distance between households. Generally, dropping
off will take about double the time that picking up will (assuming the same number of people).
What if I can only drop off or pick up?
Many people are in the same situation. If you let the volunteer coordinator know, we will
match you up with someone else who is able to do the other part of the route.
In addition, we deliver a number of bags with our youth group on the Wednesday night before
the food drive. We also ask some volunteers who finish their routes early to help pick up
food for some of these routes.
How else can I help?
The food bank will need help in the weeks after the Food Drive to sort the food so that it can
be prepared for those in need. Please contact the food bank to make arrangements when you are able.
What does the flyer look like?